Wednesday June 4, 2014
Protection from biting insects is vital when travelling to tropical destinations; wear loose fine-woven clothing, use an insect repellent, and invest in a lightweight mosquito net. One bite is all it takes for a serious insect-borne disease to take hold. Here are our top tips for preventing insect bites, what are yours?
Our Top 10 Tips
- Cover up with loose, fine-woven and light coloured clothing
- Don’t wear tight jewellery or close fitting watches
- Spray insect repellent on exposed skin.
- Sleep under an impregnated mosquito net in high risk areas
- Use a fabric spray on backpacks and outdoor equipment
- Avoid areas of stagnant water, swamps and lakes, where insects breed
- Avoid shaded or wooded areas - biting is less of a problem in brightly lit areas
- Wash regularly, as sweat attracts insects
- Make sure to reapply repellent following swimming or rain water on the skin
- Where possible avoid high grass and undergrowth areas