Friday March 14, 2014
When planning your next big adventure it is a good idea to consider your safety before you leave for the airport. What you pack could mark you out as an affluent traveller, making you a target for criminals.
Stay safe abroad with our Top 10 Tips:
- Always travel with insurance, covering any activities you plan to take part in
- Sign up to FCO travel advice alerts before you go and learn the local laws of the area you plan to visit
- Three months before travelling visit a doctor or travel health clinic to receive any inoculations required
- Pack a first aid kit – a simple way to stop wounds or injuries becoming infected
- Wear a money belt or travel pouch under clothes to keep money and valuables hidden
- Use a padlock on suitcases and luggage
- Do not wear expensive looking jewellery or flaunt valuables such as cameras and smartphones – don’t make yourself a target to thieves and pick pockets
- Don’t take anything you wouldn’t want to lose, such as irreplaceable family objects
- Avoid travelling alone at night and using short cuts or poorly lit streets
- Make a note of emergency numbers of family and friends back home, the nearest UK embassy, your hotel, and the local police.
Print this out as a check list or share it with someone else who is going travelling.